Saturday, May 28, 2005

I did meet my goal and finished the right front of my bolero last night. I would have cast on for the left front, however I was falling asleep on the sofa. Of course, the minute I laid down I was wide awake, but that's about par for the course for me lately. Hopefully getting up at 6AM now will help me get back to my proper sleep schedule. This morning instead of casting on for the left front, I worked on my swatch for Lucky. This is out of the yarn I bought last Friday at my LYS. They didn't have the required yarn and I didn't mind since I really couldn't afford the Rowan. Instead they had a beautiful grape colored cone yarn that is about the same weight. So I bought an ounce and swatched it up and took it in for an opinion on if it was a bit too thin.

Well I got an opinion (that it looked good, which made me happy because I love the color and didn't want to try a different yarn) and some yarn. I wasn't planning to buy right away (I've been wavering between imposing one of two different knitting rules this summer - either everything I knit is from the stash or for every two projects I finish I can buy yarn for one), but they only had two cones of it left and once it was gone it was gone. So we figured the amount I needed (1.5 lbs), which was more than one cone, so she wound some off of the other cone and I came away very happy that I went in today about said yarn. And the nice thing? Yarn for lucky with this cone yarn cost less than $15. And I got more than enough extra, which I'm going to use to extend my swatch into a summery scarf in the clover lace pattern.

So, the yarn:

Cone yarn and extra ball of yarn bought today with the earlier stuff that I've been making into a gauge swatch

This is a better picture for color than the next, though it isn't quite right. This is a very rich grape colored yarn and I love it to death.

All the loot:

the loot

Yarn for the Lucky cardigan from Stitch and Bitch Nation, a hank of sari silk yarn (I swear, I've fondled that hank of yarn every time I've been in the shop. I walked around carrying it today, couldn't put it down and figured I might as well get it. Every time I leave without it I risk someone else falling as much in love with it as I have and buying it before me.) and a pair of Addi Turbos in US size 3. My smallest circs go down to size 5 US and I'm thinking that for portability's sake I want to do this on circs.

And, just for fun, my latest yarn storage method:

Everyone should store their yarn like this

I got this wine rack about two years ago? And it's only had more than two bottles on it once. Not to mention there really isn't any good place to store it in my kitchen. Now it's serving well as a holder for hanks and skeins of yarn, on the floor next to my 'landing pad', so it's one of the first things you see coming in the door. Not a bad way to welcome guests, if you ask me.

This morning actually started with a trip to the Farmers Market before heading to the LYS. It was hopping and I looked long and hard at the zucchini and fresh tomatoes before limiting my purchases to this:

peonies

Yes, a bouquet of peonies. It's a Memorial Day thing. My grandmother always puts homegrown peonies on the graves of family members on Memorial Day. And while KS is a bit far from here to take peonies to take peonies to Grandpa's grave, it does make me think of everyone back home to look at them. But peonies always make me think of afternoons at Grandma's house and Memorial Day Sunday Services at the cemetary and just of home in general. I think that when I get a place of my one that'll be one of the first things I plant. But for now I'll have to make do with this beautiful bouquet.

For now, though, it's off to make brownies for tomorrow. And maybe get that left front cast on.