Monday, December 01, 2008

*whew*

My dimply car has returned from the dead and it wasn't even half the cost of the lowest estimate I was originally given. Thank goodness. Of course, I found out after test driving this wonderful little Corolla that I would have happily walked off the lot with (it was even within my budget!). But that saved me money! And this was the motivation I needed to get off my duff and start up that emergency fund everyone should have.

In other good news,  we won a plane ticket lotto (or at least it seemed like it) and ended up with free tickets to visit the grandparents over Christmas. Part of it sucks because I didn't get to see the local family last Christmas and won't again this Christmas. At the same time, said grandparents were up for a cousin's wedding and the traveling was so rough on them they don't plan to return any time soon. If ever. (I was offered money to elope when it comes time for me to get married.) The most I'll have to pay for this trip is to board the cats for over a week - and that'll be half the price per night that was quoted to me by the old vet before the move. 
I'm already starting my trip packing list:
  • nightgown (always forget that)
  • knitting
  • laptop
  • traveling sock for plane knitting
  • iPod
  • knitting yarn wishlist
  • jeans (2 pair + wearing on plane)
  • tops (5 days worth, we'll do laundry)
  • layers (5 days worth)
  • more knitting

Knitting news: I was super lucky and won a 'you finished the shop hop' prize and a door prize for the yarn tour.  The 'you finished the shop hop' prize was a Berroco sock pattern book and two skeins of their sock yarn (awesome colors, one navy and the other jewel toned self striping). The door prize was the Louisa Harding Gathering Roses: The Design Collection book. Lovely book. And it even has a pattern very similar to a cabled sweater I'd planned to try to design for myself (boatneck, cable up the sleeve, split to go in front of and in back of neck, down other sleeve). Her version is knit sideways and the cable is at the neck and cuffs, so it isn't it exactly. But I've never done a knit sideways pattern, and I always try to learn something knew with each pattern I do. I'm not certain if the yarn I have is the right weight for this sweater (it calls for a worsted weight ribbon yarn), but at least one person has done it in malabrigo and that looks lovely. I think any worsted weight wool would be great.

The shop were I won the Louisa Harding pattern finally got the new Linie/On Linie cabled sweater pattern for Outland yarn. I picked it out during the yarn tour, but didn't buy since the pattern wasn't in. And who decided (after telling me she wasn't going to buy yarn when we stopped to pick stuff up) to buy the yarn for it Saturday? Mom. Of course, she got the color I wanted too. So, unless we want to look like twinkies I probably won't be making that any time soon. 

We finally found (online) green fun fur for the bag I'm to make for Mom for Christmas. I'll start the back tonight (have a blue ton of TV to watch that I missed last week) and will hopefully have it done fairly quickly. Not certain when the yarn will arrive, but I'll start on the front when it does. I'd really like to have it finished/felted well before Christmas. (Seriously, if the yarn arrives this week my goal is to finish it this weekend. We'll see how that works, that wrap I was going to finish by the 22nd? Still only just past the half way point.)

Also got the afghan I made for Grandma back. It is not, however, a feather and fan stitch. Very similar, but the YOs are stretched out over three RS rows. I'm tempted to rip and start over. And for good reason. Callie!girl got a little too interested in my knitting last week while I was at work. And I arrived home to find that the start of the afghan was no longer attached to the skeins. *facepalm* The afghan for Grandma also has six stripes, which kinda makes me want to go back and get three other colors. I have ecru, so actually it'd only be two other colors. I just don't know which to go for. It is meant to go with my bedspread which is dark brown and a light blue/aqua. Not a lot of colors there to match. Need to think about it. And come up with a good reason NOT to go to Hobby Lobby.